Build a strong calisthenics foundation with this easy-to-follow bodyweight fitness routine. Great for beginners and intermediate athletes.
What is Reddit's Recommended Routine?
A calisthenics workout for all levels. The recommended routine was popularised on reddit's bodyweight fitness board. The 'Recommended Routine' is named as such because it's an accessible way to learn the fundamental bodyweight exercises. For beginners, the recommended routine is also a great calisthenics workout to build muscle.
The recommended routine is a bodyweight workout designed to target all the major muscle groups whilst building the foundations for more complicated movements. While some exercises require equipment, like a pull-up bar, parallel bars or rings, most have equipment-less alternatives.
Because each exercise is part of a progression, the routine can easily be adjusted to suit your skill level. The Workout Generator creates a .pdf of the workout using progress from your Skill Tree, so you don't need to worry about any mental gymnastics and can focus on the real gymnastics.
The Workout Plan
Warm Up Phase
This part of the workout is focused on dyanamic stretching, joint preparation, and practice with the movements.
- Shoulder Prep
- Squat Sky Reaches
- Wrist Prep
- Arch Hangs - (after reaching Negative Pull Ups)
- Support Hold - (after reaching Negative Dips)
- Squats - (after reaching Bulgarian Split Squats)
- Romanian Deadlifts - (after reaching 45° Hip Nordic Curl)
The strength phase consists of 4 groups of exercises. Complete 3 sets of each group before moving on to the next one. The Workout Generator will let you know which exercises to perform, how many reps to perform, and the length of rest between each exercise.
- Pull Up progression → Squat progression
- Dip progression → Hinge progression
- Row progression → Push Up progression
- Anti-extension progression → Anti-rotation progression → Extension progression